This functionality is implemented using Javascript. It cannot work without it, etc...
Select Page

Medical Assistance Transportation Program


Where can you go with MATP?

You can use MATP services to go to any health care service that is covered by Medical Assistance. That includes appointments with your doctor, dentist, psychologist or psychiatrist, drug & alcohol treatment clinics, or any other MA provider. You can also use MATP to go to the pharmacy for prescriptions, to the hospital for tests or to get to medical equpment suppliers.

If you belong to a Medical Assistance MCO (Managed Care Organization), also called an HMO, you can use MATP services to get to any provider within your Physical Health plan or your Behavioral Health Plan’s network.

If you do not belong to an MCO but you receive your health care through MA fee for service, you can use MATP to go to the nearest Medical Assistance provider who can meet your needs. You can go to a more distant provider if you give the MATP information that you medically need to go to that provider.

How is transportation provided?

The MATP provides rides in the least costly way to meet your needs. You will usually be riding with other passengers. Depending on where you need to go, MATP can arrange a ride for you using vans or access vehicles for persons with disabilities. If you can ride a bus, and you do not live far from a bus route, you may be reimbursed for the cost of riding the bus.

Bedford County MATP provides mileage reimbursement at the rate of $0.12 per mile if you use your own car or find someone willing to give you a ride. It also provides reimbursement for any parking and turnpike costs involved in your trip when you obtain receipts.

How to register for MATP services

If you are in need of MATP services, call your county MATP to register. In Bedford County you call:

814-623-9129 or 1-800-323-9997

You will be asked for your ACCESS card number to make sure you are eligible for MATP services, and you will be asked a few questions about your need for transportation.

  • Make sure you tell the MATP staff about any special needs you may have, for instance: if you use a wheelchair or walker, if you have any problem that keeps you from riding in a van with other people or if you need to have someone go with you to your appointments.
  • When you get a ride through MATP, you are expected to get to the curb to be picked up. If you have any disabilities or limitations that keep you from getting to the curb, tell that to the MATP staff who is required to provide you with door-to-door service if you medically need it.
  • If you are registering a child who is under 18, a parent or guardian can accompany the child to their appointments at no cost to you.


You can obtain transportation services while you are completing the registration process. However, the county MATP must receive a signed registration form from you within 30 days of when your services begin.

Once you are registered, you will be sent more written information about how to use MATP services. Your registration is good as long as you continue to receive Medical Assistance.

Center for Commnunity Action operates MATP in Bedford County.